Subject: Problems, Problems ....
From: Paul Hickman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 13:01:20 +0100

Thanks to those who replied about my sprites problem - heres some more
food for thought:

The other day, I tried to use the Sample_Bank_Maker program, and hated it.
OK, it's short, but that's about it's only advantage. So I promptly wrote a
sample bank editor program. This allows you to load, append, include, save
existing sample banks as well are create new ones. You can also add, move,
and remove samples from the bank, and change the sample names & frequencies.

I have also included the much needed option to load IFF 8SVX files, and used
the requester system I developed for my pratched program (Which should be
released very soon). All of this worked first time (This is very very rare
for my programs).

Then I tried to add the option to play the samples, so you don't have to
load them into ST/NT/MED etc. first to find which ones you want, and this
is where things went wrong. It appears that after using the Sam Raw
instruction, the disk drive is disabled!. I've tried using Sam Stop before
disk DMA - Doesn't work. I've tried compiling the sample to be played into
a 1 sample bank, and using Sam Play - Doesn't work.

However, if I write a two line program:

Sam Raw %1111,100000,10000,10000
Print Dir First$("AMOS:")

It works! Any ideas on what`s happening?

Dir first & Dir next are the commands that my sample program fails on.

Problem 2

Still on the subject of sound, I tried to convert a MED module to AMOS, by
saving it as an ST-MODULE from OctaMED Pro 3.0, and using the sound tracker
convertor to make an AMOS music bank. However, it didn't convert the bank
properly, so I decided to try using the Track commands. So I Bloaded my
module into a bank, and tried the Track Play command. I then got an error
message in german, with I think mean't "This is not a tracker module" (I'm
not to good at german).

How can I play my module? I`m going to try getting a PD tracker, loading my
module to that, and saving it back again.

Comming Soon To An Aminet Site Near You:

	- PratchED Text Editor

        - Sample bank editor

	- Asteroids game

+-------------------------+------------------------------------+
|                         |    _____			       |
| PAUL HICKMAN            |   /     \ 	ON A HOT SUMMER NIGHT  |
| ([email-masked])       |  /  O O  \  WOULD YOU  OFFER YOUR  |
| DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTING | |    _    | THROAT  TO  THE  WOLF  |
| IMPERIAL COLLEGE LONDON |  \  / \  / 	WITH THE RED  ROSES ?  |
|                         |   \_____/			       |
+-------------------------+------------------------------------+
Machine A500 WB1.3 - 1mb Memory - External Disk Drive.